Monday, November 07, 2005

Last word on the insurance co.

So how's this for logic. After the unfortunate car accident, we took the eclipse to the bodyshop at Gillman Southwest. The independent appraiser came and estimated damages at $2350.93 (don't forget those 93 cents!) and sent the paperwork off to my insurance company. They sent me a cheque for the amount less my deductible ($500). 2 days after getting the cheque, Rocky at Gillman Collision Center calls to say that the final cost of the repair will be less because they ended up not having to replace the window as the glass was not damaged. I'm glad they don't have to replace the window, but now I'm concerned because the cheque amount is now wrong. He tells me not to worry about it. I'm like, are you serious?, I'm supposed to pay my deductible of $500, this has got to be illegal. He doesn't say that it is, but he doesn't say that it isn't. Very dodgy. When I pick up the car, I give them the cheque from the insurance co. and pay them the difference which ends up being $291.25. So for the next few days, I'm wracked with guilt about the difference. After receving the unfavourable conclusion to the claim I feel a little less guilty about it, but today I decide to call them and tell them look, I owe you money, where do I send it? To which they reply that I don't have to do anything, and I don't have to make up the difference, thank you for calling and letting us know, but we really have no way of chasing you on this.

What?

OK. er, thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You are a good person. I am glad it worked out for you.

11:45 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

i think it will be good to keep track of all documents and phone conversations with the people you have spoken to. the insurance companies in USA work in a very unique manner, be it auto or medical insurance.

staff A can tell you this reason and staff B can tell you another. if possible, try to meet with the insurance agent face-to-face to clarify the situation.

our bank has an insurance person who is a counselor and helps to shop for the best deal for customers. there is no application and talking fee. it is a free service for customers.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home