Wednesday, June 13, 2007

What is NF?

I went to the monthly meeting for the Houston Chapter of Net2 (Net Squared) last night. The guest speaker that we had was Reggie Bibbs. Reggie has a condition called neurofibromatosis (NF). NF is a genetic disorder of the nervous system that causes tumors to form on the nerves any where in the body at any time. Reggie started a campaign, called "Just Ask", which I personally think is just brilliant. He had some t-shirts made with his logo and slogan, "Just Ask!" on the back. I saw Jason at work wear a shirt and I said,

"Hey, Jason; just ask what?"

And he told me all about Reggie and NF and Reggie's flickr site; blog and website.

We also got to hear from the president of the Texas Neurofibromatosis Foundation, Suzanne Miller. Suzanne's daughter also has NF, though she doesn't have any outward symptoms.

I didn't know much about NF, but I found out last night that it is more prevalent than cystic fibrosis, hereditary muscular dystrophy, Hungtington's disease and Tay Sach's combined.

Wow!

The purpose of NetSquared is to use technology to effect social change. Last night's meeting definitely enlightened me on a social cause that I knew close to nothing about and showed me how inspirational one man can be.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger LK said...

That is a great way to get a message out there. Reggie's website is good as well. I've learnt something today, cheers for that.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry,

Reggie here. Thank you for the visit to my website. Also thank you for posting something about nf. The we can get people talking about it, will only help. Lets keep in contact.

Reggie

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerry, saw we got three visits from your blog today and wanted to thank you for linking to Reggie and for all you and Net Squared are doing. It's really making a difference in awareness of NF and Reggie's happiness. Thank you!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home