Thursday, February 22, 2007

Daylight

I got to leave work early today. It was the first time in at least 2 weeks that I got to leave while there was still daylight. But I still had to sit in traffic though. There is loads on construction (of course) near the building where I work. At approximately 1:32 PM, we lost our internet connection. Apparently someone in the construction had cut through the connections and the whole building and who knows what else lost their internet connection.

The saddest thing is this has actually happened to me before. When I worked at my previous job, construction workers did the exact same thing on a different freeway, cut through the communications cables and left us without internet and phone.

Now, when you work for an internet company, there's not a lot that you can do when your internet goes down.

We had an impromptu training session on Collective Action; Game Theory and the Nash Equilibrium. All very heady stuff but definitely enlightening.

The best part of the afternoon was when we played the Prisoner's Dilemma with the betrayer having the opportunity to gain $75 if the opponent stays silent. According to past experience from my boss, he has never had to give out the full amount money because everyone has always chosen to either stay silent against each other or betray each other.

Not today.

I volunteered to play and chose to betray. My opponent chose to stay silent and I went home with $75. {grin}

Thank you to the construction workers who cut the line this afternoon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Just Ducky said...

Yay for getting play day at work and getting out early!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Lawfrog said...

Right on! Gotta love the Prisoner's Delimma:)

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home