Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Through the flood

Holy cow, was it raining today! I had my interview at 9 and the rain was just lashing down. It was a slow drive but I got to the exit for the building at 10 til 9. I was 0.8 miles away. Those last 0.8 miles took me half an hour. I called them when I got off the freeway, and told them that I was almost there and might be a little late because of the weather. They told me to take my time, be careful. When I made the u-turn, the feeder road on the other side of the highway was flooded. Yikes. I have a car car, not an SUV or a truck. I inched my car along, till I got to the ramp for the freeway, then I saw a stalled out 7 series BMW on the feeder, I got chicken and got on the freeway again. I took the next exit, which led me to the building next to the building my interview was in. It was a car dealership. I thought, well I'll park here and go to the next building. The dealership itself was flooded. I had to get out of there. So I went around again again. On my second approach, I could see more cars going straight on the feeder, so I thought I'd chance it. I saw a Maxima up there, so I thought I could make it.

Oh.
my.
gawd.

The water was so fricking high! I was shaking, gripping onto the steering wheel, hoping that I wouldn't stall out. The intake on my car is really low. I just went as slowly as I could. It seemed to take forever but I got out of there and was on dry road. What a relief. I was still shaking when I pulled in to the parking garage and parked.

And then. The Second Interview.

I met with the Head Guy and chatted with him about all sorts of stuff. I think it went very well. I am very, very, very hopeful. I met with the other person that I would be working with and everybody was very positive and cheery around the office.

Yay! Fingers crossed!

5 Comments:

Blogger mini said...

u should be given the job just for braving the flood!!! omg!

4:49 PM  
Blogger singaporegrrl said...

hee hee! Thanks!

5:02 PM  
Blogger tammara said...

I HATE driving in the rain. My shoulders are usually hunched up around my ears the whole time.

Fingers (and toes!) crossed for you. If nothing else, you look determined and ready to take on that job.

Hope your back is better, too. Your last week is giving new meaning to the phrase "when it rains it pours"...

1:25 PM  
Blogger Fiona Bun said...

Paws and fingers crossed!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Oooh, good luck! I have graphic memories of helping my Ma to push our Morris Minor van out of a rising flood when I was about ten years old ... very scary stuff indeed!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home