Monday, May 22, 2006

12 years and still clueless

I arrived into the United States for the first time in my life on May 10, 1994. Destination: Austin, Texas. I've been living in the U.S. now for 12 years and 12 days, but I still haven't got a handle on a lot of Americanisms and Texasisms. When you hear the slogan, "Texas, it's like a whole other country", believe it. But's that's a whole other post.

Everyday, I read a particular message board and today one of the ladies asked what everyone was planning for the long weekend? I think to myself, "Long weekend? What long weekend? We have a long weekend? Maybe it's one of those school holiday things. I hope I get a long weekend! How come I don't know about these things and have to find out on bloody message boards?"

So, of course I have to google "US public holidays" to find out what they're talking about. It's Memorial Day! I believe I get that day off. Yay! There will be a Long Weekend for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ally said...

Yay! We have a long weekend this weekend coming - the last Monday in May is a UK bank holiday. I have a whole weekend of doing nothing planned ... :).

12:22 PM  
Blogger mini said...

if there's anything i'm not clueless about ...it's knowing when public holidays are :D

3:33 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

We're going to Six Flags over the long weekend. If you never hear from me again, you'll know I've melted.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home