Tuesday, April 25, 2006

oh, my head.


The Bridge,
originally uploaded by saracress.
DH and I had an interesting evening last night. We were invited by his dad to attend a dinner at Bayou Bend. We've never been to Bayou Bend before so we thought, why not and we got dressed up and we went. Bayou Bend is very cool! Once we arrive and park the car, the first thing you have to do to get to the place is cross this scary suspension bridge that is strung dangerously high over a ravine (the bayou). I felt so Indiana Jones in my 3 inch stillettos. The bridge would sway and bounce with each step and I was gripping onto DH so as to not fall and I was gripping onto my clutch and wrap so I wouldn't drop them into the ravine (bayou). At one point, we thought we saw a crocodile and we got very excited. As we got closer, we realized that it was a log. Of course. My heart was racing once we crossed the bridge as I stepped onto the lovely grounds of Bayou Bend.


Diana Garden Fountain,
originally uploaded by saracress.
The event was held *gasp* outside under a tent decorated with lovely flowers and butterfly art hanging from the roof of the tent and little butterflies made out of feathers scattered around the place. Very pretty. I made a mental note to snag a couple but then promptly forgot. We got ourselves a glass of wine each and sauntered over to our table which was right next to the beautiful if rather noisy fountain. Of course, the humidity in Houston is just ridiculous. I could feel my face starting to get shiny and no amount of Frizz-ease could save me. Worst thing was I didn't have any blotters on me. Oh well. We listened to the music and sipped our wine.

After what seemed like forever, they finally brought out some bread. We were both starving, but we waited for the butter. Once the butter came, we scarfed down the bread and then waited for the next course. Waiting, waiting. Did I mention we were sitting by the fountain. Very pretty. Pardon me? Finally the waiters delivered something creamy looking in a martini glass. I asked our waiter what it was and he said that it was potato soup. mmmm. So as soon as I can do so, without looking like a beast, I dive into the soup. It's cold. Of course. Because it's Vichyssoise. I'm feeling so cultured. Very tasty. We await the next course. Chit chat. Laugh. Where's the food? Ahh, here comes the salad. Delightful greens with a scoop of chicken salad, a crabcake-like offering and an assortment of blueberries, tangerines, and strawberries. Oh yes, and two lovely artichoke pieces. I like artichokes. Very tasty. As you well know, Singaporeans love to eat and I was enjoying the dinner. I felt the courses were not delivered in a very timely fashion, the Singaporean in me was thinking, "hello, faster a bit, can or not?" but hey, at least they were bringing it out. So, DH and I start speculating as to what the main dish will be. Will it be beef, will it be chicken? Will it be fish? Or maybe lamb? Highly unlikely, I've never seen lamb served in the US. And what they call lamb...hmm, it's mutton if you ask me.

The waiter comes to take our salad plate away and he takes all the other silverware with him. I start to panic. I ask DH to ask him if there is more coming and the waiter says that that's it, there's just desert coming. Pardon me? This fountain is so loud. That's it? Very bizzare. We were not expecting that. Seems like we were missing a course here. Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. The dessert was a supertangy lemon custard with which I was not impressed. But then, I've been told I'm hard to please. Pardon me?

All in all, I believe we had a good time. We would never have had the chance to attend a function like this otherwise. To leave we had to Indiana Jones it again, but now the ravine below us is pitch black so it didn't seem so scary, because you couldn't see how high up you were, and after 2.5 glasses of wine, who cares?

4 Comments:

Blogger AgnesolaGoth46 said...

Hello!I see you support ONE the campaign for stop the poverty "Make Porty History!". I support it too, go to my blog and see it!I'm ActionAid International and Amnesty Supporter,etc..!I'm activ!

10:59 AM  
Blogger mini said...

at least you didn't have to pay? hehe ..but the bridge is neat. looks like you're in louisiana somewhere!

11:59 AM  
Blogger =^..^= said...

Ooh... love that garden fountain!

~5-Cat Style

1:03 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Despite the missing course (atrocious faux pas for smeone like me), the humidity (dreadful for someone with curly hair like me) and the Indiana Jones bridge (terrifying for a big cowardy custard like me) I believe I would have enjoyed the evening too!

Glad you had a good time!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home