Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Lotus

When I was in Secondary School in, gasp, the late 80s, I saw a Lotus on the way to French Class (at the old Monk's Hill Sec Sch) one day. I don't remember the exact details, but I remember forming an association between seeing the Lotus and doing badly in French. Of course, it had nothing to do with the fact that I never studied, and usually skived French class to hang out at Far East with my girlfriends. Since then, everytime I see a Lotus on the street, I wince. I hate the sight of them. When I was in SG over the hols, I saw maybe 4 or 5 Lotuses, um, Loti, perhaps. I was so traumatised after I saw each one. I would be expecting something bad to happen after each sighting. DH would be chastising me for being silly and getting worked up over nothing. Nothing bad did happen, except the death of my digital camera by drowning. That was really bad. And sad.

A lot of good things did happen in SG: I got to visit with my parents, I got to visit with all my grrls, I got my status adjusted (details to be revealed in a future post) and DH was with me. I think it's time for me to put my Lotusphobia behind me.

IMG_1586
IMG_1586,
originally uploaded by singaporegrrl.
On one of my numerous trips to Little India I saw a bucket full of lotus buds. Something about them just made me stop. I looked at them for a little while but had to keep moving because I was being hustled along by some lovely Thai ladies behind me. A minute later, I stopped and turned around and took the picture. The camera hadn't died yet at that point. I'm not sure what it was that drew me to them but it was as though the flowers were eminating calmness and serenity. Very interesting. They were beautiful, even in the plain blue bucket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home