Wednesday, November 09, 2005

F.O.N. in November

Election day was yesterday and here in Texas, everybody was in a frenzy about 1 particular propostion, Prop. 2, which would change the Texas Constitution to make marriage between partners of the same sex illegal. Now, marriage between two people of the same sex is already illegal in Texas. But making this change to the Texas constitution makes it more illegal and harder to undo because it would be written into the state constitution. I'm not sure why this Proposition was on the ballot. I don't get to vote yet, but I'm working on it, but in the meantime I'm at the mercy of the people who do get the vote. I believe this Proposition to be legislated discrimination against other human beings, just like, not so long ago, marriage between people of different races was illegal in the U.S. This being the case, I, myself would not even have been able to marry this past October, nor my own parents, had they been American and lived in the U.S at the time they were married. Very scary thought! Perhaps it's my own naïveté about the issue or lack of understanding of the political process, but I just don't feel it's fair. There are more important issues affecting the US other than the gay marriage debate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Youu probably read my post about the same election. I agree with you and I was disappointed that it passed.

I can't imagine a cuter couple than you and your husband and it would have been so unfair if you had been unable to marry.

3:18 PM  
Blogger TexasYankee said...

we thank you for your support...

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home