Monday, October 17, 2005

Sunday at the butterfly park

Lovely weather in Houston lately, all bright and sunny and cool (by Houston standards). It's still shorts and t-shirt weather here and I love shorts and t-shirts weather. JAM invited me out to celebrate her mom's birthday and my upcoming birthday (yippee!), we went the the Houston Museum of Natural Science and visited the Cockrell Butterfly Center and the watched the IMAX movie, "Mystery of the Nile" - very cool, I love IMAX and then we went to check out the "Mummy: the inside story" exhibit they have going on now.

The first place we went to was the butterfly centre. I'd never been before and it was very interesting, they had all these displays of live insects that you go through before you get to the butterfly area. They had a display of really super freak out cockroaches, which anyone who knows me, knows I hatehatehate cockroaches and super freak out whenever they are in my vicinity. It's tough living in Texas. As you know, everything really is bigger in Texas including the damn cockroaches. eeeeee!

Once we got through the interesting insect exhibit, we checked out the butterfly park. It was very cool. They have it in a climate controlled glass enclosure, fairly hot and humid and all these butterflies all over. I was a picture-taking-fool trying to catch these elusive creatures. I did find evidence, though, of exactly how bootylicious JAM really is. {giggles}

After a while, it got really hot in the butterfly park. Hot like amazon hot, which is exactly the climate that they were replicating in the facility. We got out of there and went to watch the cool (literally) IMAX and then did the Mummy exhibit which had another film, except this one was in even cooler 3D. OMG I can't even remember the last time I watched a 3D anything. I think it was Jaws 3D at Shaw Tower. The had 3D scan of the inside of a mummy, which was very detailed. the cheeky film makers made it a point to show us that this particular mummy was male. I had seen this type of scanning before when we did a video at UT for work. They have a visualization lab there that show the same type of scanning. They had scans of cadavers. They are insanely detailed scans of all they muscle fibre and bone and everything.

We had a good Sunday out, I enjoyed myself. After the mess of Thursday's car accident (I'm OK, but the Eclipse has a big boo boo) with that irate rude woman, I needed the break.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Glad you weren't hurt in the car accident. Happy early birthday!

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home