Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Storm

Thank goodness Houston was spared. On Wednesday evening, I went to the ATM again to deposit a cheque and I needed to get cash out for a friend who unfortunately lost their ATM card (BOA has this nifty online transfer to other BOA customers from your BOA account and the transfers are almost instantaneous if made before the cut-off time) and there was a line of cars getting cash out of the ATM. So I had to wait. At least they had refilled the ATM with cash.

Then we went to Kroger to get some last minute supplies, just in case. Kroger looked like a war zone. All the shelves were picked over and just wierd canned goods that I never even heard of. We just picked up some water and some Geni-soy bars. Thursday we packed up all the important stuff and sentimental stuff and took it to FI's mom's house. Friday morning we packed up the kitty and went over to FI's mom's house to wait. And wait. Watching the news and trying not to be nervous. Nobody else was nervous, not even the cat, so I took my cue from her, because you know, animals are supposed to know if you know what I mean.

It started getting windy on Friday night and the lights flicked on and off a little bit while we were having dinner but that was it. It freaked me out when the lights went out, even for the 15 seconds that they were out. Yes, I'm a wuss! I had to go grab the cat and pet her to calm me down. The cat, however, was more interested in watching the wind and rain.

So all the anticipation amounted to quite a bit of wind and a little bit of rain. On Saturday morning, FI went home to check out the house and everything was fine, just small branches blown off trees, and no damage to anything to our house or any on our street. We had electricity. We packed up again from FI's moms house, put the kitty in her carrier and came home.

So now, I've had time to recover from the stress of the flipping hurricane, I can now focus on the task at hand and that is the fact that I will be getting married in SEVEN glorious days. V. v. v. exciting! The folks are on their way to Houston as I type this. A thousand and one things to do this week!


Blogger John Whiteside said...

We did lots of preparing for what turned out to be little, but that's OK - better safe than sorry. A few different weather patterns and it could have been ugly. Glad this is out of the way and you can think about your wedding!

12:18 AM  
Anonymous fishmonk said...

Haven't been able to contact my friends, this couple, in Houston. Getting kinda panicky at this moment. Sure hope i'm able to contact them soon. Anyhow, i'm sure you'll have beautiful wedding. Yes, The Show Must Go On. Congrats to the both of you! ;)

8:20 PM  
Blogger singaporegrrl said...

fishmonk, I hope you get in touch with you friends. Thanks for your well wishes.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Glad you were OK!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous fishmonk said...

Grrl, just thought i'll keep you updated. I finally got in touch with my friends. They evacuated in time. Thank God for that. And hey! By the time you read my message, you'll be very Married already. Woohoo!!! Congrats again....

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home