Sunday, September 04, 2005

Rags

Our dog died today. I am devastated. There are no words really to describe the feeling. He got sick on Thursday night and we rushed him to the Emergency Vet who told us that he had a condition called bloat and that they needed to operate immediately. They did and the surgery was successful. The surgeon told us on Friday that he was doing well, stable and all his levels were good.
On Saturday, she called and said that he was'nt doing as well as they hoped he would be and that we need to transfer him to the Critical Care and they would perform a plasma infusion which in their experience helps 60% to 70% of cases. If we didn't do anything, he would not make it. The critical care doctor let us come see him on Saturday afternoon. He was dazed but awake and being grumpy with the nurses. She told us that if he takes to the plasma, his chances are good, but if he doesn't, then it won't be good. Saturday night she called and told us that he needed red blood cells because his blood count was v. low. She said that his levels had improved since the plasma and that he was heading in the right direction. This morning at 7:30 am she called and said that unfortunately he was doing poorly and had stopped breathing but they inserted a tube to help him breathe and wanted to know if his heart should stop if we wanted them to perform CPR, I said yes. She told us to come right away. We went up there and she called us along the way and told us that he started breathing again, and then she called us and said that he stopped and then we finally reached Gulf Coast Veterinary Services and she brought us in and said that they were being unsuccessful in their resuscitation attempts and did we want them to stop. I said yes. She asked if we wanted to see him and I did and FI and I went back and petted him and then he passed. I can't even describe the feeling. He was loved by so many people. He was a big boy, 8 years old. We had him since he was 4 months old, adopted from the Houston SPCA. His name is Ragamuffin. We love you, Rags.

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I am sorry about your pet. That is always heartbreaking. I was reading a story about all of the NO evacuees having to leave their pets and it was so emotional.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Re-minisce said...

we had a dog who looked just like ragamuffin...

... my condolences

10:24 PM  
Blogger cour marly said...

It's always tough to lose a beloved pet. They're family after all.

12:05 PM  
Blogger singaporegrrl said...

Thank you for your kind words, all. He was a member of our family and he was cared for by people all over the world. One day at a time, here.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You are very brave to go and say goodbye to your sweet Ragamuffin. I was so heartbroken when I had to put my dear Buffy down that I had to send my Aunt instead and say goodbye at home.
I'm so very sorry to hear about this and only wish there was a way to give you a hug through the screen...losing a furry member of the family is never ever easy. My thoughts are with you ("Gramma", Timmy and Tangie send their sympathy as well)

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we missed since he moved out of his old hood and yet were so very happy that he was with you and raymond. we missed his whining at us to come over and pet him. we missed his "I WANT TO PLAY" bark, his "COME HERE" bark, and his "I'LL KICK YOUR ASS AND THEN TEAR YOU APART" bark. we missed petting him. we missed his gentle nature. we missed giving him treats. we missed maude kissing on him. we missed maude laying on her back in front of him cause she so badly wanted him to be her ol' man. that is what we missed about Rags and now we are feeling his loss particularly hard because we won't ever have the opportunity to love on him again, to hear his barks, to laugh as maude shamelessly throws herself at him. big hugs and tears as we grieve together. love whitney and beth

5:56 PM  
Blogger singaporegrrl said...

Thank you Jenn, W & B, Fiona Bun, your kind words have helped me to heal my broken heart just a little bit.

10:07 PM  
Blogger TexasYankee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, friend, and baby. My German Shepherd had bloat once due to a stomach twist and almost died. I was with her through the whole thing. She died suddenly perhaps six months later of cancer when I was out in the field. My father lied to me about how she was and buried her before I was back. I was devastated. I raised her from a wee puppy and she was my baby. I get teary now thinking about it. That was in 1995 and I still miss her. Actually, it was the end of August 1995. Hera was an amazing dog.

My dog Bucky now is an amazing dog too, and a cannot think about when he dies (he's only 4 though).

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

8:26 AM  
Blogger mini said...

sorry about rags :( reading about pets passing always makes me cry.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home